Friday, March 4, 2011

click, clip, save

Since I am a stay-at-home mom now, my new job title is "Home Economist."  There has been alot of buzz lately about couponing and how much money it can save.  I tried it in the past, but it didn't really seem like it was worth my time.  Working 50+ hours a week, I was happy to pay for convenience foods and just get my shopping done each week.  Now, I feel like it is my duty to save our family as much money as possible...become a "Couponista."  We are not going to save as much as some people because we are specific and health-conscious in what we eat and we incorporate alot of organic products into our diet.  It really is a shame that it cost so much more to eat healthy!  I do not have enough storage room to truly "stockpile" as many coupon sites suggest, but I do stock up on certain things like toilet paper, paper towels, detergent, cleaners, canned tomatoes, pasta, frozen veggies, etc. I am not going to be a crazy coupon lady...clipping for hours a week, walking around the store with my 3 inch thick binder.  I am a lazy couponer.  I found a site called Southern Savers (see the link to the right) and it does all the work for me!  I have to say that it is a little addicting to see how much you can save.

My track record so far:
1/31: $111.13 in groceries - spent $63.67, saved $49.42 (first real try at couponing)

2/6: $74.18 in groceries - spent $37.94, saved $36.32 (49% saved!)

2/13: $91.96 in groceries - spent $58.84, saved $33.12 (had to restock our meat supply that week)

2/21: $299.02 in groceries - spent $166.77, saved $132.25 (super double coupon week so I stocked up!)

2/27: $32.42 in groceries - spent $23.72, saved $8.70 (didn't need much after the week before)

3/2: $60.11 in groceries - spent $29.40, saved $30.71 (saved more than I spent & got Huggies for $3.50!)

I really want to work the system so that I am saving more than I spend every week...we'll see if I can become a true Couponista!

No comments:

Post a Comment